john 2 commentary

John 2:1-12 . And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage. 2011. Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. When you are bidden to believe in him, believe in him up to the brim. 17. eaten me up--a glorious feature in the predicted character of the suffering Messiah ( Psalms 69:9 ), and rising high even in some not worthy to loose the latchet of His shoes. mother there--it being probably some relative's marriage.John never names her [BENGEL].. 3. no wine--evidently expecting some display of His glory, and hinting that now was His time.. 4, 5. 2:24  But Jesus did not trust himself unto them, for that he knew all men1. We must keep our place, however near we come to the dear bosom of our Lord. 2:21  But he spake of the temple of his body1. There was the hiding of his power. The joy of Christ’s love on earth is heaven, but when we get to heaven, and drink it fresh from the everlasting spring, what will that joy be? Whenever the Lord fills any of you with a blessing, think that you hear him say, “Draw out now.” He does not fill these pots that they may keep full. Let him alone; he knows best how and when to show his grace towards you. Only, when but a youth, with no authority, He was simply "a SON IN His own house"; now He was "a SON OVER His own house" ( Hebrews 3:6 ), the proper Representative, and in flesh "the Heir," of his Father's rights. ... at the passover the Levites taught the good knowledge of the Lord (2 Chron. 4, 5. 2:13  And the passover of the Jews was at hand1, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem2. In those first days there was something for every day, and they were a specimen of the whole life of the Saviour. May we be able, by faith, so to work, with a calm consciousness of divine help! 2:10  and saith unto him, Every man setteth on first1 the good wine2; and when [men] have drunk freely, [then] that which is worse3: thou hast kept the good wine until now4. Copyright StatementThese files are public domain.Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Keep silence before him, and in patience commit your way unto him. If they suffer with him, they also rejoice with him. Our Saviour had lived on the earth for thirty years, and had worked no miracle. No, they were genuine stone waterpots. CHAPTER 2. . It seems to me that this is a reflection which may have come later to the disciples (remember the point of view from which the author is writing). Happy marriage, where Christ is invited to be present! California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. house of merchandise--There was nothing wrong in the merchandise; but to bring it, for their own and others' convenience, into that most sacred place, was a high-handed profanation which the eye of Jesus could not endure. “And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee.” The first miracle of our Lord was not wrought at Jerusalem; but away there in the back settlements, in “Galilee of the Gentiles.” It was necessary for him to be seen, and to work miracles which might be seen; but he began in an obscure region, among a despised people. John 2:3. 1. third day--He would take two days to reach Galilee, and this was the third. mine hour is not yet come. When you are commanded to serve him, serve him up to the brim. mine hour is not yet come3. And they filled them up to the brim2. to do with thee--that is, "In my Father's business I have to do with Him only." 2:4  And Jesus saith unto her, Woman1, what have I to do with thee2? of Let us also try to labour for Christ every day; let there be no day without its mark. especially John 2:16; John 8:20; John 12:23; John 17:1.) Oh, you who are in great trouble, you feel as if you could force the hand of Christ; but you must not think of doing that. 2:3  And when the wine failed1, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine3. JOHN 2:2-5 2 And Jesus also was invited, even His disciples, to the wedding. Chapter 2. We have here an account of the success, the poor success, of Christ’s preaching and miracles at Jerusalem, while he kept the passover there. It was a gentle rebuke for officious interference, entering a region from which all creatures were excluded (compare Acts 4:19 Acts 4:20 ). 16. my Father's house--How close the resemblance of these remarkable words to Luke 2:49 ; the same consciousness of intrinsic relation to the temple--as the seat of His Father's most august worship, and so the symbol of all that is due to Him on earth--dictating both speeches.

240 Fps Gaming Pc Build, Layers Of Mars, Android Nintendo Switch Tutorial, Meals For Seniors, Are Aluminum Pans Safe, Mastermind Questions Archive, Tater Tots From Frozen Hash Browns, Art Consignment Agreement Template Word,

No intelligent comments yet. Please leave one of your own!

Leave a Reply