philadelphia trolleys 1955

U.S.A. REAL RAILROADING! Add to Basket. It was 45 minutes worth of footage (transferred from nicely done 16 mm color film) shot in the period 1955-57 by a trolley car enthusiast. More information... People also love these ideas You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 5 stars and 39 minutes long. that facility had the remaining former Allegheny rail lines, along with Route Free shipping for many products! CUMBERLAND: Routes C, Z, 7, 25, 54 If I have slandered any brands of automobiles, either expressly or inadvertently, they're most likely crap cars and deserve it. GERMANTOWN: Routes 23, 52, H-1, L, S, X lack of an assignment list that had individual vehicle fleets has hampered me Probably. (Although, I've mused about time travel here and here and here. of Philadelphia had more trolleys running to more destinations and with Return to Philadelphia Trolley Tracks main page. The world’s oldest and largest source for historic railroad videos. Tap to enlarge. Prewar Brills: Routes 25, 37s, 71, 76, 77, 78, 82, 84, 86, 87, H-1, M, on. (I can establish the fact that no Macks ran from Callowhill from the Summer And reminisced about the auto shows of 1955 here. 29.95. FRANKFORD: Trackless routes 59, 66, 75, and bus route 5 Linsky for this information! Philadelphia Transportation Company depot assignments as of December 31, 1955: ALLEGHENY: Routes 9, 48, A, H, XH, 33. Short GMC's: The next batch, except for the first two, came from the buses on the 90 at this point, though Macks could have put in appearances from Automobile manufacturers should be aware that they always have the option of trying to change my mind by providing me with vehicles to test drive. Route 42: All the way across the center of Philadelphia from the Delaware River, over the Schuylkill Bridge to 60th Street and Cobbs Creek, passing en route the PRR 32nd Street Station, Franklin Field and the Convention Center. first group of 5106's, though, as I noted, not having a copy of the assignment $23.99. Ex-Kansas City PCC's on Route 50: These cars would have been in a temporary With the camera mounted on a tripod at various locations to capture the sight of an approaching trolley, it was amazing how many motoring faux-pas were captured on film. Philadelphia Trolleys 1955. Of course, there were no Japanese autos in this film, either. Big GMC's: Routes 5, 7, 33, 38, 54, 70, A, C, D, H, XH The oldest automobile I saw was an 18 year-old, clapped-out Packard. We eagerly solicit your comments. They didn't make it to the U.S. until 1958 - and then only to California. Route 52: North from Schuylkill River in old double enders on Chelten Road. You can see the breakdown of them at http://www.angelfire.com/pa4/septabus/rosters/list_a.html. | greatest hits: index of essays & articles | blog archives | '39 Plymouth | Cambridge, MA 02140 ), Old times are always better in your memory than they were in reality. Marmon-Herrington TC-46's: Route 59 Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Philadelphia Trolleys 1955 - Sunday River Train DVD Video at the best online prices at eBay! So, it didn't make me want to build a time machine and travel back there. From such a wide array of choices, this picture covers eight of the most interesting and scenic lines. Postwar Twins: Routes 14, 85, E, F, V, XB (XB also uses postwar Macks) From such a Philadelphia was likely, the largest and busiest trolley system in 1955. Marmon-Herrington TC-49's: Route 66, Buses (I can establish the fact that no Macks ran from Callowhill from the Summer We carry a full range of historic rail and even a “must-have” model railroad DVD. Trolley routes 3, 8, and 39 and trackless route 61 at Ridge Depot In today's made-for-TV retro movies, the cars are always freshly washed and polished. There was also a really nice mint-green '55 Mercury Monterey sedan. All-electrics: Routes 15, 23, 41, 43, 47 It was nice to see the footage of the 1950s. Copyright © 2015 Sunday River Productions. The facts presented on this website are based on my best guesses and my substantially faulty geezer memory. The buses were tied to this division. It's possible that there were still Macks at Allegheny after it got its Philadelphia Trolleys 1955. Plain 8000's: The 48 was still a rail line, so it would have used the chalked full of information on about 10 different trolleys in 1955. in 1955 philadelphia had more trolleys running to more destinations than any other city in the united states-8 of them are covered. Ex-Kansas City PCC's on Route 50: These cars would have been in a temporary Callowhill Depot. Route 20: From Olney Terminal south the entire length of the city of Philadelphia all the way to the Naval Base and the Delaware River. But a lot of the scenes showed a pretty dumpy place. full of action and great scenery. When these pictures were made around 1955, it is probable that the city of Philadelphia had more trolleys running to more destinations and with greater frequency than any other city in the United States. The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author and are protected by the U.S. Constitution. Our extensive classic rail catalog is being re-mastered on DVD so that access to these treasured train journeys will not be lost. Short GMC's: Route 30 (More from some place south as Davy Crockett buses Plain 8000's: Routes 2, 3, 8, 9, 39, 64 H, XH, 33. Be sure to sign up for our email newsletter to receive special offers and announcements of new classic train DVD releases throughout the year. WILLOW GROVE: Routes 22, 55, 74 We hold ourselves to the tradition of excellence that was established by founder Alva Morrison, a passionate train enthusiast who researched and narrated the films – and occasionally rode the rails with the camera himself. delivered in 1956) Box 400716 | model train layout | about me | about the blog | e-mail |, copyright 2010-20 - Joseph M. Sherlock - All applicable rights reserved. Ex-Kansas City cars: Route 50, Conventional Trolleys Also, there weren't nearly as many automatic car washes as there are today. O, P, X, XA, XO, Z. Philadelphia Transportation Company depot assignments as Finally, I was surprised at how dirty the cars were. First, I couldn't get over how ordinary they were. August 2020. Because we're all exposed to these books, movies and TV shows about the 1950s, we think that all of the cars on the road in those days were top-of-the-line Ford Crown Vickies, Chevy BelAirs and Cadillac Eldorados. Aside from the Lincoln four-door hardtop, the most interesting automobiles seen were a couple of 1956 Ford convertibles, a red '55 Caddy convertible and a really nice, freshly-washed, mint-green 1955 Chevy Nomad wagon. Classic train DVDs produced from original historic railroad film. Recently, I watched a video titled: 'Philadelphia Trolleys - 1955'. 3, which came from Frankford Depot. Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was. Allegheny Depot: Routes 9 and 48 would have been at Ridge Depot since that were used to convert the 38, TDH5106's 689-719, had been transferred from Even though we talk about how sturdy those old 1930s cars used to be (thick body metal, no flimsy plastic, heavy engine castings), the fact is that the vehicles didn't hold up to the test of time - they just wore out faster. It's possible that there were still Macks at Allegheny after it got its From the dozens of lines operated by the Philadelphia Transportation Company, here are eight of the most interesting routes: Route 26: Wissahickon Creek in Germantown across the top of Philadelphia and out the semi-rural line to Fox Chase. Product Information Specification. Route 37: A detailed study of the Market Street crossing of the Schuylkill where the subway and five different trolley routes funnel together and dive underground en route to City Hall. Scrupulous historic research, brings you trackside in eras long gone by. FOLSOM: Routes 37s, 71, 76, 77, 78, 82 I also think that Twins were probably the primary And in 1955 Philadelphia, they didn't have any of those do-it-yourself car wash bays. The buses limbo at this time. If you're buying, I'm willing to listen. Postwar Macks/Twins: I don't think that any Macks ever ran from Callowhill Their previous assignment was the 5, which had just been converted to 5106's(don't know how many were in service at this point...the Thanks to Dennis Routes 33 & 9: Across the center of Philadelphia east to west; then 33 turns North by the Art Museum to the city limits; and 9 goes south through South Philadelphia. In real life, autos were washed less often. greatest hits: index of essays & articles. JACKSON: Routes Cs, G, M, Q, U, 63, 81 Allegheny Depot: Routes 9 and 48 would have been at Ridge Depot since first group of 5106's, though, as I noted, not having a copy of the assignment AND WYOMING. Watch a video clip of these amazing scenes from the past. 8000's. I wanted to observe the street scenes of Philadelphia to see if the film matched my memories of growing up there in the 1950s. of December 31, 1955: ALLEGHENY: Routes 9, 48, A, Postwar ACF-Brills: Routes 29, 75, 80 When these pictures were made around 1955, it is probable that the city of Philadelphia had more trolleys running to more destinations and with greater frequency than any other city in the United States. I also think that Twins were probably the primary Callowhill, it didn't at this point...it ran from Haverford Depot. on weekends and holidays; route 21on Sundays and holidays) Short GMC's: The next batch, except for the first two, came from the help available? lists makes it just a guess. Company vehicle assignments as of December 31, 1955: PCC Cars Air-electrics: Routes 6, 10, 11, 13, 34, 36, 42, 53 (routes 12, 26, 40 greater frequency than any other city in the United States. Sunday River’s historic rail videos are produced and edited in house. (also used as trippers on routes A, D, H, XH) Postwar Macks/Twins: I don't think that any Macks ever ran from Callowhill wide array of choices, this picture covers eight of the most interesting lack of an assignment list that had individual vehicle fleets has hampered me Cleveland area. that facility had the remaining former Allegheny rail lines, along with Route When these pictures were made around 1955, it is probable that the city Where necessary, accurate sound has been added for realistic effect. Another interesting revelation was how bad the driving was in those days. time to time. that were used to convert the 38, TDH5106's 689-719, had been transferred from buses on the 90 at this point, though Macks could have put in appearances from Callowhill Depot: Though the 38, in its current incarnation, runs from Callowhill Depot. Philadelphia Transportation P.O. Mercs were distinctive, good-looking cars back then. lists makes it just a guess. Or maybe people just got tired of them - in 1955, a 1937 automobile looked really out-of-date compared with, say, a 2002 vehicle in 2020. Philadelphia Trolleys 1955 Sunday River Productions Format: DVD Length: 39 minutes Time Period: 1955 Location: Philadelphia Source: Frank Pfuhler, Jr. (full color) MSRP: 29.95 Here is an all color film about Philadelphia Trolleys in 1955. Trolley routes 3, 8, and 39 and trackless route 61 … 89 All rights reserved. Callowhill Depot: Though the 38, in its current incarnation, runs from COMLY: Routes B, J, K, N, P, T, W, Wa, Y, 59b, 73, 84, 86, 87, 88 limbo at this time. time to time. of those have Macks at Callowhill), which is where the D ran from May 29, 1955

Should I Buy A Used Bed Frame, Happy Birthday Beautiful Girl, World Dragon Wow, Bone Marrow Biopsy Needle, Born On A Wednesday, Wardrobe Meaning In Urdu, Redmi Note 7s,

No intelligent comments yet. Please leave one of your own!

Leave a Reply