saltfish fritters trinidad

I am a Trinida­di­an (Tri­ni), orig­i­nal­ly from a small vil­lage in Cen­tral Trinidad. Guardian Media is the premier provider of multimedia solutions and authoritative insight on news, politics, business, finance, sports, and current affairs. //-->, Recipe Section Home What is Saltfish. Flip and cook the oth­er side. Simple. My auntie Jang wondered why they were so small and my uncle Raffick, her husband, seemed confused because I wasn’t serving them in bread. Add more salt if the cod fish has no trace of salt after washing or boiling. tr: { radius: 10 }, google_ad_client = "pub-1242417534758489"; (Al­ter­na­tive­ly, you may rinse salt fish, then boil, chang­ing wa­ter sev­er­al times, drain, trans­fer to a bowl and flake with a fork) . Second most important part of this dish is the veggies/seasonings that will be used. When made in­to cakes it’s a fill­ing and de­li­cious break­fast. google_ad_height = 280; A popular dish in google_ad_client = "pub-1242417534758489"; All Caribbean!™. https://www.foodienationtt.com/single-post/2018/01/15/Trini- Rinse with several changes of water until only a hint of salt remains. antiAlias: true, I learn something new every day. 4 Us­ing your hands(or spoon), mix to­geth­er while grad­u­al­ly adding wa­ter, un­til you have a thick bat­ter. Apparently, Aunty Jang always made it large enough to eat like a burger in a sandwich. settings = { 2 ta­ble­spoons fine­ly diced green sweet pep­per, 2 ta­ble­spoons fine­ly diced red bell pep­per (about 1/4 medi­um), 1 ta­ble­spoon fine­ly diced pi­men­to pep­per (1 large), 1 scal­lion, fine­ly chopped (about 2 ta­ble­spoons), 1 tea­spoon fresh­ly ground black pep­per. Work­ing in batch­es (now us­ing a 1/4 cup mea­sur­ing cup), scoop bat­ter, drop in­to oil, flat­ten with a spat­u­la and fry, flip­ping once, un­til both sides are gold­en brown. Squeeze out all liquid from the saltfish. tl: { radius: 10 }, Us­ing a one ta­ble­spoon mea­sure, scoop and drop bat­ter in­to the hot oil. They basically lacked ingredients. !div>, please submit your version of this recipe here, Meet in person at a CaribbeanChoice Meetup, Fukushima 'running out of space' to store dirty wa, Motorola RAZR V3 for T-Mobile + $50.00 Cash Back. Heck, I don’t even recall eating it as a child, and prior to developing this recipe, I had never eaten a codfish fritter! Working in batches (now using a ¼ cup measuring cup), scoop batter, drop into oil, flatten with a spatula and fry, flipping once, until both sides are golden brown. • Serve plain or with man­go chut­ney, kuchela or hot sauce. 2 Dice pep­pers, onion, scal­lion, mince gar­lic. 3 In the bowl with the salt fish, add the re­main­ing in­gre­di­ents (flour, bak­ing pow­der, yeast, pep­pers, scal­lion, green sea­son­ing, gar­lic, onion, thyme leaves, brown sug­ar and black pep­per). Signup to receive new posts via email! I be­lieve a plate of food is a cat­a­lyst for change and the ul­ti­mate ex­pres­sion of love and kind­ness. google_ad_width = 336; Each contained a minuscule piece of conch measuring less than one eight of a millimeter, with one dice of green sweet pepper enveloped in fried dough and moist with recycled, hydrogenated oil. Allow the batter to rest for 15-30 minutes. Trans­fer to a pa­per tow­el lined plat­ter. google_ad_width = 468; google_alternate_ad_url = "http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/cc_global/ads/alt-google-links-ad.asp"; * Drop Down/ Overlapping Content- © Dynamic Drive (www.dynamicdrive.com) Buljol is a corruption of the French brûle gueule, which means burn mouth. I did consult with Mummy to verify that my memory is in fact accurate. Jamaican Saltfish Fritters also known as Fritters or Stamp and Go are crispy, chewy fritters made with salted fish. bl: { radius: 10 }, Confident in my recipe, I made these fritters last August as an appetizer for my niece’s first birthday party. Basically, saltfish is cod fish that is covered in salt and has been cured for a longer preservation. google_ad_format = "468x15_0ads_al_s"; I am sure that it’ll be marvelous in a sandwich, but I’ll continue to pass on the bread! Trinidad Saltfish Accra (recipe) I see plenty of recipes for accra in West Indian Cookbooks but often they bear little resemblance to Trinidad Accra. In a large bowl place counter flour, flaked saltfish, chopped onion, escallion and diced tomatoes and mix well. Using your hands(or spoon), mix together while gradually adding water, until you have a thick batter. I love mak­ing peo­ple hap­py and the best way I know how is with food. Full of flavour in each bite, every­one will be go­ing back for more, so feel free to dou­ble, triple or quadru­ple the recipe. Saltfish Fritters are always a treat! xz = xy.substring(0,4); /*********************************************** Transfer to a paper towel lined platter. 4 Deep fried Frit­ters(balls): Heat 1 inch of oil in a fry­ing pan over medi­um heat. (Alternatively, you may rinse salt fish,  then boil, changing water several times, drain, transfer to a bowl and flake) . google_color_url = "008000"; It's a great dish to bring to or make for a party or barbecue. These savory fried fritters are great as a snack or for breakfast. Add more salt if the cod fish has no trace of salt after washing or boiling. Copyright © 1998-2010 CaribbeanChoice.com. Flip and cook the other side. Transfer to a paper towel lined platter. You may add heat to this dish by adding minced habanero or scotch bonnet pepper. var xy = navigator.appVersion; In a large skillet heat GRACE VEGETABLE OIL; drop batter by tablespoonful into hot oil and fry until brown on one side, turn and continue frying until done. Gradually add milk to make a smooth batter then egg (if used). Soak for several hours. My Jamaican mother tells me that what she knows as accra is a saltfish fritter, flat, fried brown. Using a one tablespoon measure, scoop and drop batter into the hot oil, press with a spatula to flatten and fry until golden brown. It may seem like a lot of ingredients for what should be a simple fritter, but Mummy always preached “needs more seasoning” when I was learning to cook, so “robust flavor” is my main priority when creating a recipe or dish. Send us an e-mail here or call us at +1-(868)-225-4465, Tough times ahead for T&T as Biden takes charge in the USA, Elder, 68, accused of raping girl, 13, in church, Glitch brings abrupt stop to new PNM project, Venezuelan suffers severe brain trauma after beating, Flores De San Jose bid farewell to founding member, Customers told conserve water ahead of Desalcott shutdown. //-->, CaribbeanChoice.com - Your Gateway to the Caribbean Saltfish is a white meaty fish that is preserved with salt by drying it out. In a large bowl place counter flour, flaked saltfish, chopped onion, escallion and diced tomatoes and mix well. I moved to NYC more than 25 years ago in search of the Amer­i­can dream. Sign up HERE! Flip and cook the other side. Active Topics | When made into cakes it’s a filling and delicious breakfast. When cool, taste the frit­ter, adding more salt to the bat­ter, if nec­es­sary. } I lower the heat while I am shaping the fritters and raise it to medium immediately after shaping. google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; window.onload = function() { (I then allow the batter to rest for 15-30 minutes). I usually make them on Sundays after church as a simple lunch. Round cakes: Heat ¼ inch oil in a frying pan or skillet. When made in­to round ball, it can be en­joyed as an ap­pe­tiz­er and a great dish to bring to a par­ty or bar­be­cue. document.cookie = "ScreenWidth=" + screen.width + "; path=/" Season with salt, GRACE CARIBBEAN TRADITIONS BLACK PEPPER and scotch bonnet pepper. Using a one tablespoon measure, scoop and drop batter into the hot oil. The salt cod (bacalao) I buy usually does not require repetitive boiling; just a few minutes of rinsing are sufficient. // End --> The ingredients, however, are all familiar and are probably already waiting for you in your refrigerator or pantry. google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; Want FREE access to all our content? You see, last year while on vacation in Paradise Island(Atlantis) in the Bahamas, we grasped the opportunity to travel to downtown Nassau to experience the culture and cuisine. 5 Shal­low fry­ing - Round cakes: Heat 1 inch oil in a fry­ing pan or skil­let. Obviously the main ingredients in the fritters is the saltfish. Batter should be thick and of a dropping consistency. Assemble: In the bowl with the salt fish, add the remaining ingredients (flour, baking powder, yeast, peppers, scallion, green seasoning, garlic, onion, thyme leaves, brown sugar and black pepper). I did consult with Mummy to verify that my memory is in fact accurate. One People. Inc.  All rights reserved. [Note…Pics were taken the day I quadrupled the recipe].

No intelligent comments yet. Please leave one of your own!

Leave a Reply